the open web, web development, and more

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dell Inspiron Mini Has Arrived

The Dell Inspiron Mini I ordered back in mid-September (over 2 months ago) finally arrived. The wait time was atrocious and I don't really believe Dell's excuse about a global shortage of components causing the delay (other orders for the mini were still shipping much faster) but its water under the bridge. Plus I can vent in the customer satisfaction survey they sent me.

The size of the unit surprised me. Since it has a higher resolution display than the original Eee PC I played with about a year ago, I assumed the mini would be a little larger too. Not so, the mini is roughly the same size. The track pad is much easier to use, however, and the keyboard isn't nearly as bad as reviews make it out to be (but I haven't tried out every netbook either).

The next step is upgrade from Dell's version of the Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu 8.10 and install the Netbook Remix packages. More posts on this to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment