the open web, web development, and more

Saturday, December 8, 2007

OpenWRT: Very Impressive

Just a quick post to tell my two readers about the OpenWRT project. This is a Linux-based community driven project that provides an alternative Operating System for some routers. Wikipedia offers a pretty good overview of what the project is about.

Since you rarely interact with your router, except to configure it, you might not see a point to installing a new OS (firmware as it is frequently referred to) on it. But a router doesn't have to be as boring and feature limited as it comes from the manufacturer. By installing OpenWRT you can expand the capabilities of your router immensely.

Even if you don't care about adding any new features to your router, OpenWRT can simply provide you with a much nicer Web-based administrative interface. And since installation is so painless there really isn't a downside. I installed the version of OpenWRT provided by the X-WRT project. This project's goal is to make the OpenWRT firmware simple to install and more accessible to end users. They have achieved this rather nicely.

Upgrading the firmware on my Linksys WRT54G was as easy as downloading "openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin" to my desktop, going to my routers existing web-based firmware upgrade page, and uploading this file to the router for installation. This went super smoothly and actually maintained my routers previous settings and passwords so my wireless access point was up and running in minutes. Make sure your computer has a physical connection to your router and be patient as the "success page" will display before your router is up and running.

Next time I have to buy a router, I will definitely make sure that it is supported by the OpenWRT project.

P.S. Yes, I'm procrastinating on painting my kitchen ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment